im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Thursday, March 22, 2007

email: happy hour

Subject:
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:43:23 +0000
dear mom and dad,

another wonderful day here in korea. it's crazy, i wake up in the morning and look forward to work. i wake up thinking of my students and say to myself, "oh, i get to see richard today! i get to see helen today! i get to see andy today!" im insanely happy, this should be illegal.

things are going good grade-wise and discipline-wise with all my students. hey dad, please DONT EVER STOP giving me advice. you kind of have to b/c youre dad, and of course i'll argue b/c im sha, but i dont want it any other way.

whilst walking around my 'hood, i met another english teacher, he's been here 2+ years. he told me that my area was a "gentlemen's area" and that there were a lot of saunas around here. ?? well, i cant tell one place from another anyways, every sign is in hangul and i cant read it. there ARE a plethora of men in business suits in my area come night time, all hanging out up until the wee hours. they're like gangs, there are so many little groups of them, they move in packs, and walk with a heavy sway b/c of all the soju.

my colleague Quinn went down the street to buy something to eat one night, and a gang of Soju-ed business suited men threw their arms around him, feeding him bimbap, telling him to taste everything. he said they were super drunk and laughing and yelling and insisted Quinn put away his money, they paid for all this food. funny! this doesnt happen ever to the foreign women tho, and im glad, b/c that'd be weird.

No comments: