im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Saturday, March 10, 2007

email: milk yuck

Subject:
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 16:46:10 +0000
dear mom and dad,

grandma must've gotten god to give me a bit of a break today, b/c it wasnt too cold. well, i did finally wise up and wore three shirts under my coat, too.

i found that one of my colleagues lives in the same building as me. his name is edward and he's like one of my supervisors, called "head instructor." he showed me how to separate my trash and where the dumpster is. lots of recycling here, i love it! i asked him about the random dirty dishes i'll see sitting out in the hallway, he said that when food places deliver, they use proper flatware and then you leave it outside your door and the food place will come back around and pick the dishes up. rather progressive! teddy and kanisha NEVER recycled in our apartment, i would dig out the plastics and cans and bottles they'd throw in the trash and put them in the recycling. "Plastics labeled 1 or 2 are recyclable, kanisha!" she thought i was crazy. im completely sure neither she nor teddy isnt doing recycling at all now that im gone. boo.

i wandered into a different internet cafe the other day. they're everywhere, and i usually go to the same one, but i was trying to find one just a little closer to home. and by closer, really it's like one block, these cafes are everywhere. the one i wandered into looked a little funny, all private booths with no windows, and the charge was 5000 won and hour (usually it's like 1000 W), i looked at the old man behind the counter and asked him if the price of 5k was right, he said yes, and then *ding* a light went on in my head as to what type of internet cafe that was! the old man smiled and gestured that i go another block down to find a regular cafe. ha!

tomorrow is sunday and it'll be my day off. i'll do laundry (not so much soap this time), and leah (my coworker and neighbor) is going to help me buy something like a portable dvd player. man, i really REALLY miss my step workout. i used to get a lot of extra exercise from the subway, b/c i'd keep getting off on the wrong exit and would have to climb up and down the stairs over and over to figure out where i was. now that im a little more subway savvy, no extra stair climbing there! i dont even walk to work! but that's because this weather is killing me. i have my balance ball at home and do a lil' something, but meh.

i went to try to find soy milk at the grocery store the other day, and a woman was handing out little samples of some kind of yogurt. lots of different "drinkable yogurts" here. i tried to say no thank you b/c of the dairy, but the she was an elder and said with a heavy accent, "please drink it everyday for your health!" she was so sweet, i had to sample it. it was gross, and i said thank you and went on about my business. i did find soy milk, but i dont like this brand. i wish there was Silk Soymilk here :(

well im tired, my bed is calling. edward also showed me how to turn up the heat in my place, and now the floors are all nice and toasty. hmmm... i may sleep right on the floor tonight! ~sha.

No comments: