im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Sunday, April 1, 2007

email: no voice

Subject: froggy
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:23:29 +0000
dear mom and dad,

hi! it's sunday night, i actually did NOT work yesterday. I've done so much excellent teaching that ive lost my voice. i called my boss and talked to him on the phone as best i could. i actually ended up having to send text messages to his phone, my voice was so soft that he couldnt hear me. im much better today, a little bit froggy, but for sure above the whisper i was yesterday.

i remember when i was very young i would periodically lose my voice for a few hours, but i dont know what's happening now. i attribute it to not enough liquids (i havent had coke zero in days!) and lack of activity... counting down the days til payday so i can get that dvd player. im doing just fine tho, i dont feel sick at all. i woke up friday morning with a bit of a sore throat, and then it got progressively hoarse throughout the day, and come saturday morning: gone. edit: i came to find that many people lost their voices around this time. something about the yellow dust, i guess.

i actually was rather disappointed to have to miss class, b/c it would've been a day that i'd get to see my students richard, caitlyn, and of course little johnny! i was a bit nervous too, thinking that my job would be mad or something, and i wasnt even going to bother to call in, i was just going to show up and hope my voice would magically return during my walk to work! but around noon, i called and told them that i feel fine, but the whisper was about the best i could audibly do. i guess around 11:30am it occurred to me that sure, I didnt want to miss class, but maybe THEY wouldnt WANT ME there if i cant talk! my boss was super nice about it and told me to call back on monday. *sigh* i missed richard!

i met up with some coworkers, Mayma and her husband ike. mayma is a sista from new zealand. her husband ike is from nigeria. dinner was cooked by a friend named is Felix, he's from nigeria as well. he cooked rice and some sort of hot soup with vegetables and soup that made my throat feel wonderful. i asked him to teach me how to cook it. he asked me, "Do you eat out for every meal?!" as if my momma didnt do right by me. dont worry mom, i explained to him that My MOM is an excellent cook and did her best to get her daughter to learn too! but i got that Cur------ stubbornness that just wont let me do/learn anything that i dont want to. you know, dad, like refusing to accept my destiny to become a teacher? :) my love to hector! ~sha.

No comments: