im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Thursday, May 10, 2007

dont tell my mom

wow, i started writing this 5/07??? it's 11/08 right now; while cleaning up this blog, i came across this draft i never finished/published. enjoy!

nothing to do with esl/korea. here's a little side story: this poster hung in a display case at the Hair Museum in my neighborhood back home. i drove/dropped by constantly to see when they were open, there wasnt a sign on the door. there was a phone number which i called relentlessly, but no one ever answered. the one time someone did, i was told that the museum was only open by appointment. i was so annoyed about it, that the last time i went there, i messed around w/the display case and stole their posters. i told myself i was saving them, b/c the case was becoming really tattered graffittied and someone like me should have those posters before they get damaged, and that person should be me b/c i wanted/loved them so much. they hung on my walls in my apt. Years later w/ helping to plan the big saturday, i assisted w/a hair segment: we had some people represent locs, sistaslocs, and agape locs, we had a discussion about white aesthetics and it's influence on our concepts of beauty, etc. i got a couple of copies of the blkhair dvd as door prizes. I called the Hair Museum to ask if someone could table, or at least get some flyers and such to set up a table myself, and i asked for copies of their dvd for door prizes (which i offered to pay for). I left message after message and they never got back to me. *pish* black people. ANYWAYS, since they didnt come through, i put up the posters as decor for the big saturday hair segement. i never got the posters back b/c then i'd left for korea. i wonder where they are now? damn, i loved those posters. hair politics used to be my shizz. i was so sure i was going to grad school to do more research and become the premiere scholar on it. well, maybe i still will someday.

No comments: