im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

email

Subject: RE: THANKS
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 03:07:25 +0000
dear mom and dad,

happy belated memorial day! and dad, i thank you for fighting for our freedom and i hope you enjoyed your much deserved day off.

so my first term is over and i still have a job, so i must be doing pretty ok. there was a lot of grading and evaluating to do so things were a little bit busy. one class made a drawing for me on the last day, with cute little comments, and the phrase "keep in tough!" (meaning "keep in touch") i wanted to lecture them that they should know what "tough" means since it was one of our vocabulary words, but i couldnt muster the strength to, i was so happy for the gesture.

my last class of the term was saturday. little johnny was asking me if i know X student, and Y student, or Z student.. i told him maybe, but i'd have to see their face to know for sure. he then told me that everyone in his reading class (i teach listening) knows me:

"really?" i said. "what did they say?"
johnny "they said that they all like your class best b/c for test, you always give hint."
hmmm... maybe i've been doing too generous a test review...
johnny:"they also said... nevermind."
me: "what???"
johnny:"nothing."

i asked johnny if he's ever seen me get truly mad, and of course i wont be angry with whatever the kids said, and please tell me. he said something about the kids think my class is fun and that im funny. i wonder what words the kids used to express that that johnny didnt want to tell me?!

so yesterday was the first day of the new term. im teaching mostly listening classes again, and im glad b/c i love it. i also have the scheduled days i want, so korean classes are just around the corner for me and im excited about that.

dad, thank you again so much for the magazines! i gave them to mayma, the sister from new zealand, when i was done. The other sister, Leah (who helped me so much when i first arrived in korea) is now gone, but i think she's happy to be in a new environment. Dad, can you maybe order one more magazine for me? it's called "american legacy" you can ask brother dave to help fill out the subscription form online. that is, if he can get around to coming by the house. but if not, dont sweat it at all, i found an english book store here that has plenty of things to read at pretty ok prices.

mom, dont cook so much food! it's only you and dad in the house! if there's too much left overs, you know you'll be singing that same song, "oh well, might as well eat it before it spoils." mom, you know that's how you get in trouble. start cooking less, ok?

many are asking how long will i be in korea? at least until february. i cant say what the future will be, but im feeling confident that my contract will be renewed and i'll stay longer, but not without a trip home to san diego for a bit... i have to come home for a while, i gotta have that silk soy milk!

oh hey, i cut my hair off again. the students were dumbstruck. my coworkers loved it, all the boys said i looked HOT and all the girls said i look way younger. i'll try to send pictures. ~daughter

No comments: