im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Saturday, December 29, 2007

email

Subject: RE: Is It Cold?
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 05:06:32 +0000
dear mom and dad,

hi! sorry i didnt drop an email at x-mas. but happy kwanzaa!!!

xmas was aiight here, the sistas got together at my place that afternoon and cooked (b/c you know i dont cook... ha ha) and we shot the shit and ate, it was hella nice. i had to duck out to go to work before we could play dominoes.

my coworkers had a party for xmas & we did a gift exchange, i didnt make it tho b/c i was with the sistas. my coworkers are hella nice, but i needed some soul family time.

when i went to work, the kids whined about having to be there on xmas day. i had full attendance for both classes, not one single student absent! they complained and asked for presents.

xmas isnt a traditional korean thing, so it doesnt get the same reverence here as it does back home, i told them that they should've honored their teacher by bringing ME presents! and really, the only reason i was there on xmas day is b/c THEY were. if they took the day off, i couldve stayed home! really, i was the one who should've been whining! i did give them little hints for the test that day, for their xmas present. "oh teacher, youre so kind!" yeah whatevers, you all hated me 5 minutes ago. >:(

i got the splenda and tampons, thank you SOOO much!!! i think i been drinking twice as much tea now that i got the splenda, i love it. i still havent gotten the bed sheets... they're on the way somewheres im sure.

im working on getting a couple of weeks off in february to come home for a bit, but i guess planning this far ahead aint registering w/my job. everything is last minute here (i get my textbooks two days before im supposed to start teaching, i get a days notice to come to a mandatory meeting, other bs like that, it's friggin standard procedure in korea, fo reals) i got so annoyed that i contemplated leaving after my contract is up, going to work for another school... but then i ran into one of students from my very first term, Kyung-kun, he smiled so wide at seeing me, he's been moving up class levels and is just as cute as the day i met him... i cant leave! i love these kids so much!


it's getting colder, i hate it. one of my coworkers had a student who kept blowing his nose, had a pile of kleenex on his desk by the time class was over. jeez, some parents need to wake up and keep their kid at home when they're sick... anyway, the other kids were teasing him b/c of the pile, to which he responds, "But if i dont blow my nose, then i'd be eating my own snot." i really cant argue there... im always for blowing instead of sniffing it all up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After 14 months here, my bosses finally saw how much I hate this last minute nonsense.

The ex-head teacher would always change my classes on me at the last minute. So, instead of having a pleasant scheduled class with a lesson plan ready to go, she would pawn her difficult classes off on me. She didn't understand how much this upset me. Not only did she give me the more difficult classes, but I had no idea what to teach them as I wasn't expecting them.

I finally broke and told her this was crap causing a bit of a scene calling her out, and I told my boss I needed a few minutes to calm down. When she asked why. I told her. She had no idea that this was going on so last minute, and she let me know it wouldn't happen again.

It didn't. The next week the head teacher was fired for not being able to control her classes. Also, all the kids are supposed to have one hour with me a week. She was depriving numerous kids from attending my class, so the owners were probably more worried about the parents pulling their kids from the academy.

By the way, the owners also know that if they spring a teachers' meal on me at the last minute, they won't be seeing me at it. I don't want to be a jerk, but I need some notice because my free time is mine and no one else's. Sometimes, I've wanted to go to the meal, but I stick to my principles. Now, they are trying to give me at least a week's notice.