im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

email

Subject: RE: NEXT
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:33:51 +0000
uh oh, spaghettios! i guess i dont win the daughter of the year award this time around! im sorry dad :( happy belated fathers day, thanks for giving in to mom's begging for a child and thus giving me life. i appreciate it. :)

So i'm in week 4 of the new term, im so glad for these new classes, i had too many "Johnnys" last term! as fun as they are for those first few weeks, it was exhausting during those LAST few. this term i have Dan, who is 13 and cracks me. i dont think he'll be a "johnny" b/c he doesnt step out of line when i do a stern face, tho it rarely gets to that point. dan is super cute and speaks gently, but always with a smile and slightly shaky voice, like he's about to start laughing, so it always makes me laugh too. he's has a strange borderline obsession with toilet things. after i got back from the break two weeks ago, his eyes pop as i catch him writing in huge letters on the blackboard "POO" and "DIARRHEA" and last week, when i got back from the bathroom (there's no toilet paper, so if people see you carrying tissue, they know you're going to the bathroom. dan saw me on my way), when i got back, dan asks me,
"Sister Sha, did you have a poo?"
i reply, "No, dan, i would've been gone a little bit longer had that been the case."
holding in his laughter, dan shakily says, "Maybe it was an easy one."
whole class laughs. including me.

i got a top score on my teacher evaluation last term, actually, for the last two terms, im pretty pleased with myself, AND with the bonus on my paycheck for it! it was a welcome surprise since i've had low paycheckds due to key money. i dont remember if i explained key money to you? when you move into an apartment here,you have to put down a deposit, called "Key money," it's given back to you when you leave the apartment. for my place, the key money is 5thousand USD. When i first arrived in korea, my job paid the key money. when i renewed my contract, they wanted it back... SO... i've had $1,000.000 pulled from my paycheck every month for the last 4 months paying this key money. i got one more month left, and then HURRAY i'll be done and i'll get full paychecks again. i probably didnt tell you b/c i didnt want you to worry, and really there's been nothing to worry about, but LAWD I'M SO EXCITED to soon be getting full pay again!

i got a message from my friend Jude, he didn't get a part in dreamgirls. ah well. he said he was ok with it, it was his very first time doing an audition. i told him to keep me posted for when he lands his first gig, b/c i want to see him perform. im not so sure now that i'll go see dreamgirls here tho, if jude wont be in it.

it's raining a lot here lately. boo. last week it was so sunny and warm and perfect! i walk through the park everyday to get to work, and it was some holiday on monday a couple weeks ago... memorial day in the states, i dont know what it was in korea.... but i was walking through the park, and families were picnicking and flying kites, children were on little race cars and splashing in the fountains! it was so nice, i straight got pissed off that i had to work when everyone else was playing! my mood just went from "oh, look how cute the little children are!" to "how come i gotta work today and everyone else doesnt! grr!!!" then i remember that my life is not at all hard and i can just shut up now. but it was a really really beautiful day for the park that day.

anyways. my love to hector!~daughter

No comments: