im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Thursday, April 5, 2007

email: coke zero

Subject: coke zero
Date: Thur, 5 Apr 2007 06:03:09 +0000
dear mom and dad,


my voice is almost all the way back. my second class yesterday (very small class, only 4 students, all teenage boys), delighted in telling me over and over how husky my voice was. when practicing the skit, they made efforts to have half the characters speak with a husky voice in homage of me. gotta love them! for extra s&g's during this class, i also had a student throw up. it's becoming a pattern with me?! different class than last time. the boys begged for the last of my coke zero (b/c you knwo i have my other bottle where i mix it with water). and this begging was AFTER they told me that i shouldnt drink coke b/c it'll turn my teeth into powder.

there was maybe a little under half a liter left of the straight coke when i gave it to them. how excited they all got, it was too cute. so they're passing the coke around, joking and all, and the other three made the fourth boy charles laugh so hard that the coke went up and out his nose and then he promptly threw up. i did not hold it together nearly as well as i did last time when the elementary aged girl threw up. maybe boy vomit is more gross? one of the korean staff cleaned up the room... thank goodness... it was way WAY more vomit than the little girl from last time.

while walking around class today checking students work, one of my elementary aged boys asked me if my wedding ring was real. i smiled and said, "that is not a class related question." he smiled. on the first day of class, one of class rules (along with no cell phones in class, no food, etc), was "Teacher answers class related questions only." every once in a while a student will pop out with a question "sister sha, did you change your hair? sister sha, what is that tattoo on your arm? sister sha, is that ring real?" my standard answer, "that is not a class related question," makes them smile and then drop it.

so hey i found where get dvd player! on tuesday, my day off, i took the subway and ventured off to Youngson Electronic Market: everything technologically related that you can think of. i thought of brother dave, and what'd he might advise if i go back there for a laptop computer later. i friggin love the subway here, you can go anywhere and when you get to where youre going, there's a sign or two in english somewhere to help you out. things in korea is all good for me. ~sha.

No comments: