im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Friday, May 4, 2007

email

Subject:
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 12:43:52 +000
Dear mom and dad,

Beautiful weather here these last couple of days. It’s wonderful, like home.

I got my new tv, the delivery guys from emart delivered and set it up for me, making sure all my channels worked, they were super nice. I thanked them, and they left. It still feels strange, I don’t know what to do to show my appreciation for people. You’re not supposed to tip here in korea, ever. This is SO different from Ghana! In Ghana you could walk down the street, and some random person will start to walk with you and chat. By the end of the road, they want a tip for being your guide! But here in korea, somebody does something for you and all you say is “thank you” and leave it at that.

One of the Korean staff at my school has been such a help to me, helping me get cable, and talking on the phone and making appointments for me, etc. I didn’t know what to do for her! I gave her fruit. I think that’s ok, someone mentioned to me once how expensive fruit often is here and that it makes a nice gift. That, or liquor. I think for men, youre supposed to give jim beam or something. Not sure. I don’t know much about liquor, so the fruit won in my book.

Anyway, I love the tv, it matches the couch, I feel like such a grown up having coordinated furniture.

i had my first day back of full classes today, but it wasnt so fun b/c the students had to take this big exam (for their english comprehension, to determine what class they'll be in next term). i felt so bad! i hadnt seen my kids in two weeks and then when i do it's like, "Hi guys! ok, we're about to take a 3 hour test, welcome back!" they ploughed through it, i think i took it harder than the kids did. :)

No comments: