im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

email

Subject: RE:
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:02:59 +0000
dear mom and dad,

i know mom is probably chomping at the bit since i've not written a proper email in so long; thought it best i make some time to do so. :) things are good, lots of little blessings happening everyday. for example:

last week, i set off of buy a treadmill. a friend advised i take the subway to dongdaemun stadium as there are many shops there related to exercise equipment. now, im ashamed to admit that ive not learned a lick of korean yet (just havent been able to set aside the time) and i am too proud to ask for help for anything, so i ventured off to buy this treadmill on my own.

i was braced to pay a foreigner mark up since i was alone, but every place i went into kept quoting me prices of over a thousand dollars! i pointed to the ones that were obviously used, and still $700-900 was quoted to me.

giving up and on my way back to the subway, i stop by one more shop. the woman quotes me $750. i start to walk out, and she takes hold of my arm and chatters on in korean smiling, and i just smile back and say, "korean moleo (i dont know korean)." yeah, sure was smart of me to go shopping off by myself! *sigh* well, i really wasnt expecting having to bargain. it's way easier to shop for groceries and such, the price tag is there and it's what you pay. i think im not aggressive enough for all this haggling.

so as this woman is talking to me, this random older korean man comes between us and starts talking to her, and he turns to me and asks, "do you need help?" i tell him i wanted to buy a treadmill but the price was too high. long story slightly shorter: this wonderful random man negotiates for me and gets me a treadmill for $300 including delivery! holy cheese and crackers!! :) the world is so nice sometimes!

well im off, im going to email this man and tell him thank you again, and then im headed home... to go use my new used treadmill!!! ~daughter.

No comments: