im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Friday, September 12, 2008

email


S
ubject: Where Are You?
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 14:59:48 -0700

Sha

Your brother brought by five bags of cookies for me to send to you, but since I have not heard from you for a while I am not sure that you are still alive so until I hear from you I will hold on to the cookies. Hope to hear from you soon, before I have to eat your cookies.

Dad

---------------------------------------
Subject: RE: Where Are You?
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 11:56:02

holding my cookies hostage? that's low, poppa....

dear mom and dad,
hi, i havent written in a while i know, i'll spare you my reasons/excuses b/c they're the same as always. thank you for the box, im straight on deodorant for while, i think i have about a dozen sticks in my medicine cabinet. i would love it if you sent me dental floss, with wax, im just about out. uhm... would it be jerky of me to tell you that i dont need the Star magazines you send me? celebrity news is on tv here all the time, so much so that i know a lot more now about whoever in hollywood than i ever did home, w/no effort on my part. i love the american legacy magazine, tho, thank you for that one.

work is going great. i have curtis again, he has grown so much since he was in my class last, and he's really sharp in the classroom, can answer any question, and has a new focus, really pays attention in class, an incredibly improved student, i adore him. i'd like to think that having me before helped him to grow into the super student he is today, but... well, no, actually, i will take credit for it. im such a great teacher! he's gotten so tall. crazy how fast they grow.

i was hanging out w/some friends a couple weekends ago, and we went to suji's restaurant. it's a favorite among foreigners for western style breakfasts. my eggs benedict was the bomb, but cost me $19.00. i ate it happily, but then i talked a lot of trash about who's idea was it to pick such an expensive restaurant. attached is the picture of me and my friends outside suji's, and then the same photo, w/their names. You'll see zhaleh, the sister who is an amazing cook, and hosted our "soul food get togethers" and alan, who is a good sport about being referred to as "the white guy." Alan is from san diego, also an alum of sdsu, so of course we're good friends.

this weekend is chuseok, sort of like american thanksgiving, where people will spend time w/families. we'll have one day of classes cancelled at my job. the kids are pretty mad. i tell them to not be mad, but to be happy, b/c they'll be spending time w/me :) one little girl Diana gave me a chuseok present of scented soaps, i wanted to hug her, but i just did a mental hug and told her thank you.

can i get some cookies now? :(
~daughter

1 comment:

Fly Brother said...

Dude...I know Zhaleh! Went to school together at American. Tell her Ernest in Colombia says wussup! (Or I guess I should just email her myself).

lol @ "the white guy"