im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Saturday, January 3, 2009

email

Subject: i got the box
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 05:30
dear mom and dad,

xmas has come and gone, my school was closed that day: we were the only ones open last year on xmas day, i remember. and im pretty sure i had full attendance in both classes. those korean kids sure are dedicated! or at least, their parents are dedicated to sending them to school ;)

anyways, xmas was coo, i spent the day locally with my coworker/friend Jinny. she's my favorite person at work, and her contract will end and she's leaving the school soon. there's only one instructor who has been there longer than me, now. wow. it's my two year anniversary in february, isnt that crazy? time flies.

new years has come and gone as well, we didnt have that day off work, but meh. many coworkers and friends went out. as for me, i went home and did a self manicure, it was lovely. it's gotten really cold outside, and being home and staying warm was all i was looking for to bring in the new year, forreals.

i got a box yesterday, with the rightguard and comics and cookies and magazines, thank you so much! i actually had a girlfriend over when the package arrived, and she got a little green about it b/c her family doesnt send her anything. my coworker extends his thanks for the rightgard. Listen now, Dad: do not send more. He doesnt need any. i know it's your habit to keep providing but please dont overdo it. he'll have lots of extra right guard and then my school will think i must be in love with him or something! Uhm, same for the cookies:unfortunately, i havent even seen the sista that loved the cookies so much at the potluck. i brought the ones you sent me (for her in the first place) to the thanksgiving potluck, and they were loved an appreciated absolutely, but i dont want a surplus of cookies, me and my belly dont need them. the batch you sent last time, i brought to work and everyone crawled all over everyone to get one, but still i feel bad b/c i dont eat any (b/c you know i eats plenty of sweets on my own!). anyway, i just wanted to tell you. Ah, but i WOULD like more liquid hand soap to refill my dispenser... and oil of olay facial moisturizer, it's so dry here in winter.

my friend who didnt get the cookies: she didnt come to the thankgiving gathering. she didnt reply to my calls or messages, and it's a trip b/c she is the very first black person i met when i got here to korea. we arrived within a month of each other. But her lack of response wasnt to be taken personally, i later heard later that she went through a hermit phase and didnt really talk to or hang out with anybody for a while. We all go through it. it's interesting, even though we know each other and have made some close connections (i, like many, dont go more than a day without calling one or two friends, to talk on the phone for an hour about nothing, just little friend things), yet still we feel withdrawals of home and familiarity.

anyway, thanks so much for the package, im all over the magazines reading about my man obama. work is great of course. this term, my students are very artistic and do many drawings of ME, i updated the blog and put the pictures here:
http://sistershainseoul.blogspot.com/2001_01_01_archive.html

love you, miss you, ~daughter.

No comments: