im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Monday, April 27, 2009

email

Subject: spkez, kclass
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:29:55 +0000
dear mom and dad,

it's raining on and off here, i hate it. we get like one day of bright sunshine, then 3 days of clouds and rain. spring is teasing me.

omg i LOVE this tea you sent me, i drink it everyday and it makes me so happy. Ed says thanks very much for the oreos, my coworkers want to know if there'll be more chips ahoy. the delicious peanut butter is gone (dont send more, i can get it here, i was just being greedy asking you to send it to me).

im doing well of course. my friends hosted another speakeasy a couple weeks ago, i ve included a couple of photos. i love these events, i completely forget that im in korea and instead can get lost in the family vibe these things create. One of the friends in my circle had a friend coming to visit her here, and when we found out this friend is a dj, an event was put together tan rapido. it was sooo wonderful to hear music from back home! well, you hear american music in all the clubs here, but it's that crappy mainstream rap music, and it sucks. anyway, the event and the music was wonderful.

left: everyone in my korean class. right: me.
i HATE korean class so much. no, thats not exactly true, i like my teacher, i like the class and getting the time to speak and practice in an atmosphere where i can be guided, but lawd help me, my progress is little to none. its really frustrating, an hour after class, i forget everything we learned. i still read slow, like a toddler. its really humbling... even just nouns and verbs i cant retain yet. i walk around, and i can name everything i see in spanish, but i couldnt do 1% of that in korean. last night i was watching some movie on tv and it had a scene in spanish, i understood every word, didnt even need the subtitles! (well, good thing i guess since the subtitles are in korean anyway), i want so badly to be able to do that with korean. *sigh* more time, i know. but it's making me nuts in the interim.

i finished knitting a scarf! it's the first thing ive ever finished, im very excited! one of the women int he knitting circle is going to help me on my next project. im thinking socks, i dont know yet. i want to make a sweater, but it may be too ambitious just yet.

~daughter

No comments: