im just one person. for more soko info, please check the fb group BSSK, focused on expats of color

Sunday, February 1, 2009

email

Subject: look pencil
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 23:09:45 +0000
dear mom and dad,

happy new year! Lunar New Year, that is. it happened officially the night of jan 26. Sorry the weather was "cool" for you today, dad, btw, the weather here is 42°F 29°F, AND THIS IS A WARM DAY. but it's jason day, so it'll be ok :)

i got the box with the magazines, splenda and THANK YOU FOR THE STICKERS!!! there are so many on a sheet, i think i'll cut them up to give out 1 or 2 at a time. maybe some i'll stick on the A and A+ tests. well you already sent it, but nevermind about sending any more oil of olay, i found a product here that i like. That is often the case whenever i or my collegues need something: we'll complain for a while that Korea doesnt have X, but then eventually you'll find it, we just dont look hard enough or arent really trying. That being said, can you send me something like Spray And Wash, something to pretreat stains? I dont know why, i seem to have gotten messier here, and my clothes are suffering. AND please send me another small size afro pick, the kind with the fist. I still have the big one and it works great, but the smaller one: the teeth fell out one by one! so it's gone. please send me another one.

my friend jinny is finished with cdi, she's on a break and start her university job in february. it'll require her to move about a 1.5 hour subway ride north of here. she asked me to transfer to the CDI (my school, there are many branches, like mcdonalds) in that area so i can be closer to her, so i said yes. actually im still waiting to see if there's room at the branch for me, but i think my seniority gives me some pull... it'll be my two year anniversary next month, isnt that crazy?! anyway, maybe i'll be moving in a month or so. jinny joked about my having to move with her before, and i said no b/c i love my apartment so much. then one day we had a long talk about unrelated things, and it ended with her asking me with a serious face to move. i said yes.

it's not a big change for me at all, instead of 45 min south of seoul, i'll be 45 min north of it, really it's the difference between 6 and half a dozen to me. being here so far from home, all you have are your friends. i decided i want to be w/my homegirl more than i want to keep my cush apartment. Jinny and i wont be living together, neither of us want that, but instead we'll be maybe 3 subway stops frm each other. im looking forward to it, actually, new school, new location. the change will be good.

i will miss the kids at my current school, tho. its crazy how i know so many of them. when i come to work, i hear down the halls the call of, "Hi Sister Sha!" and when i walk into my classroom, everyone is trying to get my attenion all at once, "Teacher! Teeeeeeacherrrrr!" and i reply, "yes, Student?" and they'll be like, "uhm... uh... look at my pencil!"

loveyoumissyou~daughter

No comments: